14′ Racing Catboat
Arey’s Pond will be introducing a new version of the APBY 14 design in 2021. Our prototype has been sailing this summer in many races and day sails, we are tweaking the design to find the right balance for a fun family boat and a performance racing boat to continue the long tradition of Arey’s Pond catboat sailing.
In 1973 the Owner and Boatyard manager at the time, Merv Hammet, molded off a wooden 14′ Edson Schock design called Hortense, a hull and instead of making her Marconi rig as Edson had done Merv designed her with a roomy cockpit design and gaff rig. In 1984 a new hull and deck mold was made and changes to the design were implemented. In 1995 it was decided by new owner of Arey’s Pond Boat yard, Tony Davis, that the 1984 mold was due for a redesign. The goal was to give the boat a faster look and feel especially in lighter air. The transom was lifted to reduce drag and more forward hollow was designed for better windward performance.
In 2019 one of the owners who was enjoying the weekend racing in Pleasant bay in his racing 14, approached Tony and asked for the new version of the Areys Pond 14′ cat. What he wanted was the fastest 14′ cat ever designed using the traditional catboat formula of 2:1 beam to length, with a centerboard and gaff rig. Bill Nash and Tony Davis, the design team at Arey’s Pond, came up with this new design. She is proving to be very fast, stable and will plane off at times while on a broad reach.
- Includes a molded coaming for a comfortable seat and ease of maintenance. It also sheds water nicely.
- A new rudder design improves speed and eliminates weather helm.
- A lower centerboard trunk makes moving from port to starboard for crew a breeze.
- A two part carbon mast, allows for easy trailer sailing.
- Design entry is flatter allowing the hollow to be removed, which results in a dryer boat to windward.
- LOA X BEAM: 14' x 6.77'
- LWL: 13'
- DISPLACEMENT: 440 lbs (Wooden Port Model)
- DISPLACEMENT: 560 lbs (Fiberglass Model)
- DRAFT: 6" with centerboard up - 3' with centerboard down
- SAIL AREA: 150 sq ft
- CP (Prismatic): .52